Awarded Research Papers
Author: Dariya Gizatullina
Competition Topic: "Man in history – Russia in the 20th century"
Research Title: "I will write as I wish…"
Herman Stepanov was born in 1913 into one of the richest families in the Orenburg region (today's Chelyabinsk region) in Russia. After the 1917 Revolution millions of Russians were deprived of political and civil rights (they came to be called "former people") and the life of the Stepanovs changed dramatically. How did these events influence the little boy Herman? Dariya looked at the diary entries that Herman made when he was between 9 and 12 years old.
Read an English abstract here.
- Deserted streets and cumbersome silence – the seeds of a great conflict
- “People were afraid to shake our hands”
- The shadow of Chernobyl in Ukraine – from secrets to facts
- Tents, silence and orange masks – the memories of a Chernobyl liquidator
- 30 Years After: The Chernobyl Bird/Tweetology of a nuclear disaster
Slovenian History Competition 2015/2016
Slovak History Competition 2015/2016
"History in Photographs" is the topic of the current Slovak competition. For information about the Slovak history competition go here.
French History Competition 2015/2016
"Verdun - A European Commemoration Site?" is the topic of the French competition in 2015/2016. Download the competition brochure: in French, in German. For information about the French history competition go here.